Below are descriptions of the six Community Service Departments, where members are brought together in teams and committees to impact civic, educational, cultural and humanitarian needs in our community and beyond.
Creating programs and projects that include music, dance, drama, theatre, and other arts-related areas, both traditional and innovative.
- Chairs the Arts Show Competition at February Member Meeting.
- Organizes “Hibiscus Theatre $5 Film Night” an occasional series of Florida-based movies shown at our clubhouse. Includes popcorn and refreshments.
- Coordinates Belly Dancing Classes held weekly on Tuesday at 6:30 pm.
- Committee Chair, Mindy Noble 954.815.3439 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Designing projects to gain an appreciation for our environment through preservation, maintenance, and restoration of our natural resources.
- Chairs the program for April Member Meeting.
- Coordinates the “Hibiscus Boutique” which crafts jewelry and other items from recycled materials. Items are sold at events to raise money for the club.
- Committee Chair, Linda Gibboney 954.465.3762 or email@example.com
Fostering literacy by helping people overcome learning disabilities; supporting local schools and libraries; mentoring young people; and improving others through higher education.
- Chairs the program for the August Member Meeting.
- Organizes Back to School Drive collecting supplies for local elementary schools.
- Coordinates FLWC Book Club, a reading group that meets regularly.
- Works to raise funds for the FLWC Ivy Stranahan Memorial Scholarship program.
- Committee Chair, Meg Iannaccone 954.692.4368 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Developing projects promoting a healthy lifestyle; increase awareness, prevention of diseases; target personal development; address issues of hunger, inadequate housing, and homelessness; and financial difficulties.
- Chairs the program for the October Member Meeting.
- Organizes Thanksgiving Basket food collection for The Pantry of Broward.
- Coordinates the making of blankets, pillowcases and hats for children at the Broward Health Medical Center Pediatric Oncology Center.
- Organizes collection of gift items and gently used bras given on Mother’s Day to homeless women at the Broward Partnership located here in Fort Lauderdale.
- Coordinates team for “DogFest Walk ‘N Roll” festival supporting Canine Companions for Independence serving peopled with disabilities.
- Organizes Holiday Gift collection for Children Diagnostic Treatment Center helping children and youth with special healthcare needs.
- Committee Chair, Donna Richardson 954.762.9444 or email@example.com
Enabling members to become better world citizens through advocacy, education, and action, which will, in turn, affect change in and for our global friends and their communities.
- Chairs the program for the May Member Meeting.
- Organizes collection drive for Seafarer’s House “ShoeBox Christmas” program providing white sox and toiletries to the seafarers coming into Port Everglades.
- Coordinates collection drive of gently used prescription and reader glasses for OneSight International which provides eye care and eyeware to underserved communities worldwide.
- Committee Chair, Ashley Brizendine 954.494.3256 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Focusing on connecting members with effective projects and activities relating to civic engagement including; citizenship, veterans affairs, emergency preparedness and safety.
- Chairs the program for the November Member Meeting.
- Coordinates donations to assist veterans, such as the Honor Flight South Florida which helps heroes get on a plane or bus to visit THEIR memorial (WWII, Korean, Vietnam) in Washington, DC.
- Committee Chair, Sally Alshouse — 954.494.0197 or email@example.com
General Federation of Woman’s Clubs Florida
Additionally the Fort Lauderdale Woman’s Club supports the following charities through Member Dues paid to GFWC Florida. United with GFWC we provide assistance to organizations within the State of Florida as well as those that have a national and international presence.
Hacienda Girls Ranch through Children’s Home Society of Florida