Below are descriptions of the six Community Service Departments, where members are brought together in teams and committees to impact civic, educational, cultural and humanitarian needs in our community and beyond. To contact Committee Chairs, please refer to your Member Yearbook & Directory booklet for their phone number or email address.
Creating programs and projects that include music, dance, drama, theatre, and other arts-related areas, both traditional and innovative.
- Chairs the Arts Show Competition at February Member Meeting.
- Organizes “Hibiscus Theatre $5 Film Night” an occasional series of Florida-based movies shown at our clubhouse. Includes popcorn and refreshments.
- Committee Chair, Carol Norman
Designing projects to gain an appreciation for our environment through preservation, maintenance, and restoration of our natural resources.
- Chairs the program for April Member Meeting.
- Coordinates the “Hibiscus Boutique” which crafts jewelry and other items from recycled materials. Items are sold at events to raise money for the club.
- Committee Chair, Carol Sirotto
Fostering literacy by helping people overcome learning disabilities; supporting local schools and libraries; mentoring young people; and improving others through higher education.
- Chairs the program for the August Member Meeting.
- Organizes Back to School Drive collecting supplies for schools.
- Coordinates FLWC Book Club, a reading group that meets regularly.
- Works to raise funds for the FLWC Ivy Stranahan Memorial Scholarship program.
- Committee Chair – Rochelle Harris
Developing projects promoting a healthy lifestyle; increase awareness, prevention of diseases; target personal development; address issues of hunger, inadequate housing, and homelessness; and financial difficulties.
- Chairs the program for the October Member Meeting.
- Organizes Thanksgiving Basket food collection for The Pantry of Broward.
- Coordinates the Blanket Making Project for patients at Salah Foundation Children’s Hospital at Broward Health Medical Center Pediatric Oncology Center.
- Organizes collection of gift items and gently used bras given on Mother’s Day to homeless women at the Broward Partnership located here in Fort Lauderdale.
- Organizes Holiday Gift collection for Children Diagnostic Treatment Center helping children and youth with special healthcare needs.
- Committee Chair, Donna Richardson
Enabling members to become better world citizens through advocacy, education, and action, which will, in turn, affect change in and for our global friends and their communities.
- Chairs the program for the May Member Meeting.
- Organizes collection drive for Seafarer’s House “ShoeBox Christmas” program providing white sox and toiletries to the seafarers coming into Port Everglades.
- Coordinates collection drive of gently used prescription and reader glasses for OneSight International which provides eye care and eyewear to underserved communities worldwide.
- Raises donations for Operation Smile, an international children’s medical charity focused on restoring children’s smiles through performing surgery on facial deformities such as cleft lip and cleft palate.
- Committee Chair, Ashley Brizendine
Focusing on connecting members with effective projects and activities relating to civic engagement including; citizenship, veterans affairs, emergency preparedness and safety.
- Chairs the program for the November Member Meeting.
- Coordinates donations to assist veterans, such as the Honor Flight South Florida which helps heroes get on a plane or bus to visit THEIR memorial (WWII, Korean, Vietnam) in Washington, DC.
- Committee Chair, Sally Alshouse
General Federation of Woman’s Clubs Florida
Additionally the Fort Lauderdale Woman’s Club supports the following charities through Member Dues paid to GFWC Florida. United with GFWC we provide assistance to organizations within the State of Florida as well as those that have a national and international presence.
Hacienda Girls Ranch through Children’s Home Society of Florida